Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Check out the new WebChat   Click Here !
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1980 Malibu (Read 9163 times)
Chevyman
AltusRacing Newbies

AltusRacing

1980 Malibu
05/13/07 at 01:35:10

Hello everybody. Im new here chevy speed. I thought i might update everybody on tha 1980 malibu that me and my dad bought from rob. We have taken it to test n tunes at our local track. Its ran some good numbers. The quickest e.t. we have ran with the car is a 7.96. And the quickest mph was 105. All in an eighth. My best reaction time is a .510. The car will run 8's all day long. We havent used NOS yet but were goin to. The car runs great. Goes down the track staright as an arrow. Everytime we take it to the track we get compliments on tha car. The malibu is really a beautiful car. Awesome paint job rob!!! Well thats the good news now heres the bad news. Me and my dad had it at prescott and on the 5th run the car started to have problems. I was runnin the car and a lil bit before halftrack the car dropped to 2500 rpm. And the motor was knockin badly. Well we got it back to tha trailer and we crawl under the car and theres oil every where. The motor either grabbed a rod or spun the number one rod bearring. Well find out after we get tha motor taken out of the car. It sucked that that had to happen but its racing. But ill update more once we get the motor taken out of the car.

IP Logged

Chevyman
AltusRacing Newbies

AltusRacing

Re: 1980 Malibu
Reply #1 - 05/13/07 at 01:40:21

Heres a recent pic of the malibu.

100_0648.JPG (1292 KB | )
100_0648.JPG

IP Logged

Chris Smith
Altus Racing Administrator

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #2 - 05/13/07 at 02:10:50

Welcome to the site.

Hate to hear about your trouble, keep us posted to what you find.

Good luck!

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
Reply #3 - 05/13/07 at 13:46:57

well ur car still looks good I hate to hear you having problems but that is to be expected when you race. but I think it should have stayed together alot longer than that.

ssmaliburob1980 or robztrux  
IP Logged

Chevyman
AltusRacing Newbies

AltusRacing

Reply #4 - 05/14/07 at 00:50:00

Me and my dad got the motor torn apart. It broke a rod, rod bolts, and rod bearings. But were takin it either monday or tuesday to a machine shop. And when its gets done at tha machine shop. Were gonna put it on our friends dyno. And see what kind of horsepower we can get out of the new motor. Were also gonna put some new gears in tha car. But anways more updates to come. Later

IP Logged

Jared Black
God Member

Chevy Speed

Arcadia, OK
Reply #5 - 05/14/07 at 08:33:23

Welcome to the site!

JB

IP Logged

robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
Reply #6 - 05/14/07 at 10:09:00

you might want to be careful with the gear there isnt much room under that car for tire and I dont think it will stick with very much more gear

IP Logged

Chevyman
AltusRacing Newbies

AltusRacing

Reply #7 - 05/14/07 at 22:47:59

What gears would u recommend puttin in tha car?

IP Logged

robztrux
Global Moderator

Chevy Speed

Altus,OK
Reply #8 - 05/14/07 at 23:22:01

getting that car to stick has always been a problem If you put a 3 spd in it you can hang it it up on getting it to stick if you went with a 456 you MAY be okay but seat time can cure it if it does spin. Get it running again and be at the track every weekend run down the track every chance you get get there early and put it on the track and do laps until they kick you off the track. That is the best thing you can do you'll be suprised at how much faster you will get just from seat time

IP Logged

Chevyman
AltusRacing Newbies

AltusRacing

Reply #9 - 06/22/07 at 01:33:58

Hello everybody. Just thought i might update everybody on that malibu. We got a whole new motor. Its a 406 small block. Well me and my dad took my motor to the dyno. We made about 10 dyno pulls. We were very satisfied with the motor. The motor made 550 or more hp. And when we put the nitrous on it it made 750 hp with nitrous. So we were very satisfied with the motor. So next week were going to put the motor in my car and go racing. Ill update with the new times and speed that its runs.

IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #10 - 06/22/07 at 08:10:22

With that kind of horsepower it should fly!

Good luck and keep us informed.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Chevyman
AltusRacing Newbies

AltusRacing

Reply #11 - 07/15/07 at 11:14:10

Hello everyone just thought i might do some more updatin on tha malibu. Well we put new springs and shocks in. It kicked tha front end up a bit. But thats good so that it will transfer all tha weight to tha back of tha car. Well we finally got it put back together. We went to a local track centerville but we got rained out. It has rained so much here in arkansas an it finally has stopped. Well finally we got to take my car to centerville last night. We got everything prepped on tha car. Got it to tha stagin lanes burned out fine and everything. When i took off tha car did great. It put tha front of tha car in tha air. The car aint never had this kind of horsepower wit me before. Well i got done past tha half track and i started to hear some noises in the car. It was commin from up under tha car. We got it back to tha trailer and we seen that it was leakin trans fluid. So we got under tha care and cleaned all the trans fluid out from under tha car. And then we found out that i cracked tha trans housing from one side to tha other. But it did run good even thought it broke. It ran a 7.25 in an eight. With out nitrous. And tha motor bein a small block. I think thats pretty cool. An we still get alot of compliments on tha car. But anyways ill update yall next time. Later

IP Logged

Chris Smith

Chevy Speed

Altus, OK
Reply #12 - 07/15/07 at 17:13:44

That was flying!

Hate that the case broke. Let us know if you find what caused it.

Chris

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print